BENTON CITY HISTORY & EVENTS
Benton City was originally platted by the Oregon Washington Railroad and Navigation Company in 1909 at the junction of the Walla Walla and Yakima lines. It took its name from Benton S. Groscup (and not the county’s namesake), who was influential in the separation of Benton County from Yakima County. Freight and passenger depots were built by the railroad in 1910.
The town was officially incorporated July 2, 1945. Irrigation water was brought to the area via the Sunnyside Canal in 1947, allowing the area to grow considerably.
In 2002, the Benton City – Kiona Bridge over the Yakima River at Benton City was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Benton City Daze
Antique car shows
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.